The EPPW underlines that the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration:
1. Stipulates that migrants are entitled to the same universal human rights and fundamental freedoms, which must be respected, protected and fulfilled at all times;
2. Presents a non-legally binding, cooperative framework addressing migration in all its dimensions;
3. Fosters international cooperation among all relevant actors on migration, acknowledging that no State can address migration alone, and upholds the sovereignty of States and their obligations under international law;
The EPPW in particular stresses that the Global Compact (in Article 15):
1. Ensures that the human rights of women, men, girls and boys are respected at all stages of migration, their specific needs are properly understood and addressed, and they are empowered as agents of change;
2. Mainstreams a gender perspective, promotes gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls, recognizing their independence, agency and leadership in order to move away from addressing migrant women primarily through a lens of victimhood.
The EPPW Congress calls upon all European UN member states, in particular when being led by an EPP member party, to give their full support the Global Compact at the summit of government leaders in Marrakech on 10 and 11 December 2018.
For pdf version please click here
UN website: http://www.un.org/en/conf/migration/